Monday 12 April 2010

A cloud of butterflies

I have spent a lovely day just messing about in my studio, under strict instructions from my husband - and I am definitely steering clear of the places they lurk, and staying in the safe pools of water!

This parcel holds something I made today which I can't reveal until it reaches its destination


I really enjoyed the few hours spent making it and forgot all about the crocodiles!

I have mentioned my dear friend Maxine who lived in Australia before on here, and the fact that she said she'd come back and visit me as a butterfly.

Well she is back again this year - and it fills me with joy.

Since she passed away quite a number of years ago now, each spring in our garage, a Peacock butterfly has been seen fluttering on the window of the door that opens next to my studio.  Patrick saw it yesterday, and it wouldn't go out until I opened the door for it today and it fluttered around and about me a bit before it flew off into the garden.  

Of course logically there must be a butterfly that manages to get into the garage to lay eggs which turn into pupae and hatch this time each year.  But I am always baffled as I never see any caterpillars, nor are there any opening windows in there, and the doors are kept closed so that the chooks can't get in. 

It's a wonderful mystery that it arrives at the same time that the Forget me nots start to flower in my garden, which they are just starting to do.  The plants I leave to self sow each year, as the original seeds came from her Forget me nots in Australia.

So what's all this waffling about then - it's supposed to be an 'arty' blog.   Well I was just setting the scene and my mindset this afternoon, sitting in the studio, the sun shining, birds singing, chooks chasing around after insects etc - and I felt so happy that I made my own cloud of butterflies

 
I played about with different inks, techniques, and colours.

There are no two alike.  I stamped butterflies on printed historical paper,  and I inked, and stamped and painted and embossed to my hearts content.

And now I am floating off indoors on a happy cloud to make tea.

So if you get one of my butterflies in the coming months, popped in with a swap or a little gift, you'll know that it was made on a lovely sunny Spring day, whilst I was looking out of the window  and not forgetting the Forget me nots!






14 comments:

Createology said...

Oh Miss Lottie I just love your butterflies. They remind me so much of my mother who has long since passed on. What a wonderful post today and I am so happy you had fun in your studio. Happy creating...

Momiji said...

loving your butterflies...

Claireabelle said...

Loved reading your post Lottie! And your butterflies are great too
xx

sam21ski said...

What a lovely thought Lottie

Fab butterfiles xxxx

Unknown said...

LOVE your butterflies ... I was always told the white butterflies were the spirits of children come to visit for the day ... it gives me so much comfort every time I see one ... and like you ... I always smile and say hello to Tia X

Unknown said...

Ah yes Linda - there are white ones for children too - not Cabbage White - just pretty creamy white ones.

Thank you all for your comments - it is so nice to remember those passed with happiness and lovely memories - on a sunny spring day.

Pearl said...

I really enjoyed your post today, how special are these butterflies, well let me tell you, to me I like everyone of them. Wouldn't they be fun as a mobile! Have fun, Pearl

Sandies' Patch said...

Love the butterflies, they are really beautiful!
I remember you 'doing' a patch in your garden for Maxine, it's a lovely way to remember someone.
I always love the first sign of butterflies and bumblebees, then the dragonflies and cuckoos,the first hawthorne or any blossom, then the swifts...the list goes on!
There is beauty all around us and as I age I see it more, maybe not so clearly though!

Take care,
Sandie xx

Cath Wilson said...

Looks as if you've had fun, Lottie. Good to see you playing again :) The butterflies are gorgeous and I can only imagine the pleasure you're bringing to someone in that lovely package. You are a love! A lovely way to remember your friend, btw.

Sally H said...

Wonderful butterflies! I saw the first Peacock in our garden on Saturday. It is a lovely way to remember loved ones x

Jo Capper-Sandon said...

You set such a beautiful scene Lottie. I feel like I was there with your beautifully written post.
The butterfly collection is superb. What a brilliant idea.

(Believe it or not all I have to do nowadays is to think of the comment you wrote the other day and I can't help but snort lol lol...oh it was so funny...and the laughter was much needed, I was crying with laughing so much and couldnt speak).

LazyKay said...

Well, that's very profound Lottie!

LOVE the butterflies - what a lot of hard work you've put into these - they do seem very special don't they?

Glad you've enjoyed an arty day in your studio - you need a rest from your agricultural pursuits!

xxxxxxxxxx

Unknown said...

These are gorgeous x I believe your butterfly visitor is definately your friend x Leigh x

Pat Winter Gatherings said...

What a sweet way to spend a sun filled day. Love your post and your beautiful butterflies will certainly bring many smiles.
Hugs,Pat