Saturday, 27 February 2010

Something different. Ikebana-ish - with a twist.

Before I begin my usual waffle - can I just say thank you so very much for your comments.  You have not idea how much they mean to me.   I haven't been able to do my usual blog rounds to all of you - but will do - I'm working my way around.

I went to a flower arranging workshop yesterday afternoon - torrential rain, flooded roads, but it was worth it.   I am really getting back into the 'swing' of things and hope to go more works shops in all things arty crafty this year.   I didn't get it finished yesterday as I only had two and a half hours and there was lots to do, so I completed it this morning.

To make this you need a some shrub branches, large metal rings, something to cover them with, some test tubes, spring flowers, a container and a bit of imagination!

This was really difficult to photograph as it is very tall. Here are some close ups.  The tulips have opened out overnight, the closed ones are those I arranged today

I used a square green plastic container which I have put in the basket

Our first task was to cover the bare metal frames with something.
I am not the most patient in the faffing about department but it was worth all the effort, so I was  told, as they liked the finished effect.  I wrapped the ring loosely with orange crepe paper, and stuck the ends down with double sided tape.  On top of that I layered some shades of orange sisal, and some knitting wool.  Then used silver wire all around to hold it all together - oh and some wispy bits of Kapoc stuffing - thought it would match the white gypsophelia and the other colours.
I had to repeat the process for the two rings and added the pearl beads as an afterthought

I cut up the branches and arranged them in the oasis, and secured the rings to them

The test tubes I covered in ivy leaves and wrapped silver wire around them,
 fixed them to the branches so that I could put tulips high up, and looking natural.
(Sadly you don't get almost 4ft high tulips)
I have tried to make it look interesting all the way around
And have use gypsophelia right up the middle through the twigs
It smells divine and the colours match the colours in my home.
It's a bit difficult to photograph indoors but here it is.
It looks better in the hall with a cream backdrop, but it was too dull there to take a photo.
Not bad for a total of £18 for everything - including the workshop!
I have booked myself in for next month - going to do something more traditional

I think it looks a bit Ikebana-ish, but with a modern twist.
Hey - the sun has come out - I am off to play with inks!