Wednesday, 21 July 2010

Another 'first' for me.

I am quite surprised how adventurous I am getting of late - first the journal course and now a banner swap on UK Stampers Forum.  Talk about jumping in without dipping a toe in first!  The themes are colours chosen by each entrant - yikes - and so many combinations - each one will be totally individual.

I have spent the afternoon doing this one.

This took me hours to make - I hope I get quicker as I get used to making them.

Firstly I had to cut out a template.  Then I had to rummage through my drawers for colours to match the criteria.  I decided to go with a French theme - I wonder why - in vintage colours - of thosen given which were green, pink, and turquoise in fabrics.

I have cut - oh the joy of using scissors again - but only because these have to be of a uniform size.

The banner backing is a lovely woven vintage piece of thick silk type material with an embossed classically vintage pattern.  I tore some dusty pink fabric and stamped upon it some French script.  I did an image transfer onto cotton and coloured it with Promarkers to enhance the colours. 

I found a lovely piece of almost pearlescent wired ribbon from my flower arranging days which was just the right size to fold over the hem.  It really catches the light and glistens in shades of turquoise to a rich deep blue.

The embroidered lace on the header is so sweet, it's the palest turquoise vintage which I cut off a small piece of netting - ouch that did hurt - and the 'Bonjour' is stamped on a scrap of lovely yellowing book paper.  It is finished off with a copper letter.