Saturday, 24 January 2009

Four hours later - the little recycled box is altered!

Here it is - finished at last. It looks nothing like the purple box in my last post does it?

Was it worth four hours work? I think so because I learned a lot!

I used up some scraps of turquoise card, stamped the image onto it and then embossed it to make her look all wet and shiny. I guess I have 'over used' this image lately haven't it - but never fear - I have ordered one or two stamps in the Graphicus Sale - so you will get to see some different things.

You can't see in the photo - but I shaded the card, and her with different blues - using pastel chalks, using a darker shade on her eye lids and lips. (I guess a mermaid might have blue lips LOL)

The box is now quite robust - I just have to make something to go in it now - its for a friend - as a surprise.

Along the top and side edges it is silver paint - layers of it - heated to make it bubble. Thought it would look like a pewter frame. Not sure if I should rub some alcohol ink on it to give that effect - or to leave it in case I mess it up!

This fits the this week's Lots to Do Challenge.

I cut out strips of the matching card to go on the sides - I did it properly - measured scored cut - had to do it in two pieces as I didn't have any more scraps of card left.

I used silver rub and buff paint - to rub on the sides, and them stamped swirls - to give the impression of waves rolling in.

Bottom of the box - quite tricky as I couldn't get the black ink to dry on the alcohol - so embossed it - that worked a treat!

I even stamped a square of silver card to go in the bottom.

Alcohol inked - and then stamped and embossed to give the feel of seaweed.