Friday 13 November 2009

Under the influence!

Yesterday we went on a family visit - and it just so happened that Hels lives in the same county as they do - so we made a detour, and I got to meet her in person as well as deliver the bags.

The crafting 'fraternity' are wonderful - everyone that I have corresponded with or met! And Hels was no different.

It was just a flying visit, but she welcomed me as if I had known her for years - and guess what - I got to see some of her art work.

Well lots of it - and its stunning in real life. It looks wonderful on her blog!   Seeing it in 'real life' and holding it and examining it is a whole different thing.  We keep saying this when we take photos of our work - and it really is true - you just don't get to see the textures, the depth and true colours, the layers of inks, shimmers, crackle paints - the camera just does not pick it up!

It was just a flying visit - en-route - but boy did we cram in a lot - well me asking lots of questions!   It was a real treat and a great perk - and it really lifted me up to come out here today,  to my shed, in the pouring rain, to play.

Among other things Hels showed me some amazing tags - which I can't have a go at yet until I get the stamps and other 'stash' I need to have a go at some of the elements.

But her lovely 'pep' talk inspired me to use some bright colours for a change - I tend to favour 'safe' colours.




I layered on bright inks, stamped with hessian background stamp in the same colour

I over stamped with a vintage script, and part of a border.
The Crafty Indivduals image matched the colour perfectly, and as it is on glossy paper, and I wanted a dreamy look I dulled it down with Gesso.  I also drew some swirls in white to marry the picture to the tag to soften the edges so that it didn't look so 'stuck on'


I finished it off with more overstamping of the script,
more swirls, a border at the bottom and a ribbon to match.

Thank you Hels for giving my 'papercraft' mojo a kick start - it was lovely to meet you, and maybe in the future we can meet up again - and perhaps even do some crafting!

16 comments:

Jo said...

This is absolutly gorgeous - such pretty colours

jo x

Cath Wilson said...

Love the bright colours, Lottie - beautifully done. I'm a sucker for any type of script! It's so often that final 'touch' that brings things together.

Lynne K said...

A gorgeous tag, Lottie. The colours are wonderful.

Anonymous said...

A beautiful tag Lottie and really loving these colours. Sounds like you had a wonderful 'flying visit',hope you and Hels get to meet up again and craft x

Hels Sheridan said...

Aw...bless you hun...that is such a lovely post .. have a lump in my throat now :O) I sooo love your tag..the colours are amazing and I love the layering of your stamping...tis A-MAZ-ING! hugs ...and hope we get to meet again soon x

Claireabelle said...

This is just gorgeous Lottie! Sounds like you and Hel's had a great time
x

Sally H said...

Stunning tag, Lottie! Sounds like you had a great time!

Pearl said...

I'm a safe color person also, but yay when we go out of bounds! I love your tag it is drop dead gorgeous. The colors are so beautiful and the pic. Have a wonderful wkend, Pearl

Momiji said...

love the rich vibrant colours in this..beautiful tag!

Jackie Elwin said...

I love your use of colour here - this is a gorgeous tag:)

Shazza said...

this is beautiful. Yes you are correct, Hels work is even more amazing in real life
Glad you had a good time
x

Createology said...

Wow I love this bright cheerful tag. You should kick start your mojo a bit more. Congratulations on selling your sunflower bags. Well done.

Hearts Turned said...

Beautiful, Lottie! How wonderful that you had a chance to get together with Hels! Lovely tag--I need to work with gesso, I love the effects--you do such beautiful work!

Christine B. said...

Wow Lottie this tag is absolutely beautiful. The colour is wonderful. Stunning work. Glad you got to meet your friend and hope you will get together again. Hugs x

LazyKay said...

How lovely to meet another crafter who inspires you (as you do others but don't believe it I know).

This is beautiful, so rich but not garish.

xxxxxxxxx

52shotstothehead said...

What great ideas you have!

http://www.52shotstothehead.blogspot.com